Make sure to contact an attorney or check your local state website to know what the current laws on gift certificates are. You can also check our article on Gift Certificate Law for more resources.
What is a Gift Certificate Disclaimer?
A gift certificate disclaimer indicates the terms and conditions of use of a gift voucher. It would usually be written in small print on a gift certificate, either at the bottom or at the back of the certificate. If you’re a business owner and you offer gift certificates to your customers, you might be interested in writing such a disclaimer, as it would help protect your business against unintended usages of gift certificates.
What Should You Restrict?
- no cash value: with this restriction, you make sure people will not go to your store with a gift certificate and ask to be reimbursed for their money. They can only use the certificate to purchase products at your store.
- no transferability: in some cases, you might want the purchaser of the gift certificate to indicate to which person the certificate is for. In that case, the certificate can not be transferred to someone else to be redeemed.
- expiry date: in order to avoid having gift certificates out in the open for a few years, you might want to set an expiry date on gift certificates (most likely one year from now). Be sure to check your local laws and regulations however, as expiry dates on gift certificates are not legal in several states/countries (as a way to ensure consumer rights).
- no replacement: some customers might declare to have lost the certificate and try to get a new one from your shop. To protect yourself against such usage, you might write a mention “not replaced if lost or stolen” on the certificate.
A Few Examples Of Gift Certificate Disclaimers
- Redeemable at Hupla Restaurant only for goods and services not exceeding the remaining credit balance on this certificate. Treat this certificate as cash- if it is lost, it will not be replaced. Valid for one year from the date of issue. For gift certificate balance, terms and expiration date, present the certificate at Hupla Restaurant. This certificate is property of the issuer.
- Treat this certificate as cash. It will not be replaced if lost or stolen. This certificate is redeemable for merchandise only. Redeemable at any Hupla Restaurant location nationwide. Valid one year from the date of purchase.
- Your use of the gift certificate constitutes acceptance of these terms: This gift certificate may be applied toward any purchase made at any Hupla Restaurant location. This gift certificate will not be exchangeable for cash or replaced if lost or stolen. After 18 months of non-use a $1.50 per month dormant account fee will be charged.